ARTSCAPE 12 ARTIST/SPONSOR SCHEDULE
03/27/21 – sponsorships/artist submissions deadline
04/03/21 – artists notified of selection
04/05/21-04/08/21 – original artwork delivered to ShenArts
04/09/21-04/17/21 – artwork photographed and digital transfer to banner will begin
04/19/21 – original art hung at MSV; opening reception shortly thereafter
05/21 – banner production completed
06/21 – ArtScape brochure produced; images added to ShenArts website
06/21 – banners hung, brochures distributed downtown and to sponsors
TBD – Additional ArtScape events
What is ArtScape?
Since 2009, the Shenandoah Arts Council (ShenArts) has partnered with the Old Town Advancement Commission (OTAC) to create an outdoor gallery in the historic district of downtown Winchester, Virginia. Artists of all ages are invited to participate in this juried art competition. Selected works are reproduced on banners that hang on light posts throughout the downtown area for a full year. The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley provides support for this program as the host sponsor, displaying the original works of art in its Art in the Halls program.
NEW THIS YEAR! As an exciting addition to this year’s ArtScape, a jury of the ShenArts Board of Directors will select 1-2 artworks from the annual Youth Art Month Exhibition and one from the Teen Art Club Exhibition to be included in the banner program.
Why ArtScape in Winchester?
The objective of ArtScape is to create an outdoor gallery experience in the heart of the community. The colorful banners add interest and intrigue to the downtown streetscape, encouraging pedestrians and vehicle traffic to slow down and enjoy the display. Each banner showcases local artists, highlighting the creativity and talent of artists who live and work in the region.
How does it work?
Interested artists submit work for consideration to ShenArts. These works are reviewed and selected by a selection committee. Participating artists range in age and skill level, although many are semi-professional and professional level. The chosen works are photographed and graphic design begins for printing the images on vinyl banners. The title of the work and name of the artist are featured on the banner, along with the name of the sponsor for that banner. At the end of the show, the banners are removed and given to the sponsor. The sponsor does not receive reproduction rights to the work. However, they are encouraged to display the banner in their place of business, highlighting their support for enriching the community through public art programs.
NEW THIS YEAR!! Participating artists will have the opportunity to have a second (or more) copy of the banner featuring their artwork printed if they would like to have one to keep for themselves. ShenArts will offer this service at a reduced rate for the artist!
ArtScape is Expanding!
ShenArts is excited to announce that we have been working with the City of Winchester over the last year to expand the ArtScape banner project to more streets downtown! New banner locations on Cameron St., Piccadilly St., Braddock St., and additional spots added to Boscawen St. will make it possible for even more regional art to be part of this year-long outdoor public art gallery and provide even more local businesses with the opportunity to show their support of the arts by sponsoring a banner.
How can YOU submit art to be included on a banner?
Complete the form below, upload image files of your art, and pay the non-refundable application fee. If you prefer, you may also complete the attached form with a check payable to ShenArts and submit photographs of your art by March 27, 2021.
- Artists may submit up to 3 pieces of their own personal work for consideration. Submitting work on behalf of or for another person will result in disqualification. This includes posthumous entries.
- Artist of any age and level of expertise may apply.
- Artist does not have to be a resident of Winchester, but should reside within the geographic region served by ShenArts.
- Each piece must be delivered ready to hang.
- Artwork not already framed will need to be framed prior to the drop off date.
- Each piece must have hanging hardware on the back. D-rings strongly preferred. (Please, no sawtooth hangers.)
- Artwork not vertically oriented or not easily meeting the dimensions of banner design will have bars of color added surrounding the image where necessary by the designer to fit the allotted space.
- Artwork imagery must be appropriate for a public community space.
- Artwork must be ORIGINAL. Images that have a copyright will not be accepted, i.e. cartoon or Anime characters, images published in magazines or newspapers, etc. Please no images depicting things that hold trademarks or copyrights.
- Although all care will be taken to protect your artwork, ShenArts and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley will not be responsible for any damage or breakage incurred during transport from the ShenArts office to the MSV. We recommend that you deliver it wrapped or in a carrying case and that you insure your art if you are concerned.
Please contact ShenArts with questions.