ARTSCAPE 12 ARTIST/SPONSOR SCHEDULE
March 27 – sponsorships/artist submissions deadline
April 3 – artists notified of selection
April 5-8 – original artwork delivered to ShenArts
April 9-17 – artwork photographed and digital transfer to banner will begin
April 19-24 – original art hung at MSV; opening reception shortly thereafter
May – banner production completed
June – ArtScape brochure produced; images added to ShenArts website
July – banners hung, brochures distributed downtown and to sponsors
TBD – Artist Walk Event – Artists will be at their banners to welcome the public
What is ArtScape?
Since 2009, the Shenandoah Arts Council (ShenArts) has partnered with the Old Town Advancement Commission (OTAC) to create an outdoor gallery in the historic district of downtown Winchester, Virginia. Artists of all ages are invited to participate in this juried art competition. Selected works are reproduced on banners that hang on light posts throughout the downtown area for a full year. The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley provides support for this program as the host sponsor, displaying the original works of art in its Art in the Halls program.
Why ArtScape in Winchester?
The objective of Artscape is to create an outdoor gallery experience in the heart of the community. The colorful banners add interest and intrigue to the downtown streetscape, encouraging pedestrians and vehicle traffic to slow down and enjoy the display. Each banner showcases local artists, highlighting the creativity and talent of artists who live and work in the region.
How does it work?
Interested artists submit work for consideration to ShenArts. These works are reviewed and selected by a jury. Participating artists range in age and skill level, although many are amateur and professional level. The chosen works are professionally photographed and designed for printing on vinyl banners. The title of the work and name of the artist are featured on the banner, along with the name of the sponsor for that banner. At the end of the show, the banners are removed and given to the sponsor. The sponsor does not receive reproduction rights to the work. However, they are encouraged to display the banner in their place of business, highlighting their support for enriching the community through public art programs.
How can YOU submit art to be included on a banner?
Complete the form below, upload photograph images of your art, and pay the non-refundable application fee. If you prefer, you may also complete the attached form with a check payable to ShenArts and submit photographs of your art by March 27, 2021.
18 and under $20
Adult ShenArts Member $35
Adult Non-Member $50
- Artists may submit up to 3 pieces of their own personal work for consideration. Submitting work on behalf of or for another person will result in disqualification.
- Each piece must be labeled on the back with your name, title of work, the medium used, and price.
- Artwork not already framed will need to be framed prior to the drop off date.
- Each piece must have a hanging mechanism on the back (wire hanger strongly preferred for stability).
- Artist of any age and level of expertise may apply.
- Artist does not have to be a resident of Winchester.
- The actual area on the banner is 30”H x 30”W. Artwork not meeting these dimensions will be professionally cropped by the designer to fit the allotted space.
- Artwork imagery must be appropriate for a public community space.
- Artwork must be ORIGINAL. Images that have a copyright will not be accepted, i.e. cartoon or Anime characters, images published in magazines or newspapers, etc.
- Although all care will be taken to protect your artwork, ShenArts, OTAC, and MSV will not be responsible for any damage or breakage. We recommend that you deliver it wrapped or in a carrying case and that you insure your art.
Please contact [email protected] with questions.